Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. is one of the largest insurance brokers in the world and is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol AJG. Gallagher is also included in Forbes magazine's Platinum 400 best big companies in America.
Gallagher is one of the largest and fastest growing brokers and risk management service providers in the insurance industry. Since 1927, our company has been
helping business and industry manage risk by performing the traditional
insurance broker's function of planning and placing insurance.
Basic to our success is a commitment to meeting each client's particular needs. This commitment has enabled the company to grow from a two-person organization to our present ranking as one of the largest insurance brokers in the world.
The expansion of our company into a nationwide organization has been dramatic.
We were true pioneers in the concept of risk management. We created the first
self-insurance service organization, which was set up to administer all lines of
coverage - Property, Workers Compensation, Auto, General and Professional
Liability. This followed our early recognition of the changing needs of Risk
Managers and has been accelerated by a rapidly changing environment.
Today Gallagher has over 680 production offices in 33 countries with client-service capabilities in 150 countries around the world through a global network of correspondent brokers and consultants.
The Gallagher Way
Shared values at
Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.
are the rock foundation of the Company
and our Culture. What is a Shared Value? These are concepts that the vast majority
of the movers and shakers in the Company passionately adhere to. What are some of
Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.'s Shared Values?
- We are a Sales and Marketing Company dedicated to providing excellence
in Risk Management Services to our clients.
- We support one another. We believe in one another. We acknowledge and respect the
ability of one another.
- We push for professional excellence.
- We can all improve and learn from one another.
- There are no second-class citizens — everyone is important and everyone's
job is important.
- We're an open society.
- Empathy for the other guy is not a weakness.
- Suspicion breeds more suspicion. To trust and be trusted is vital.
- Leaders need followers. How leaders treat followers has a direct impact on the effectiveness
of the leader.
- Interpersonal business relationships should be built.
- We all need one another. We are all cogs in a wheel.
- No department or person is an island.
- Professional courtesy is expected.
- Never ask someone to do something you wouldn't do yourself.
- I consider myself support for our Sales and Marketing. We can't make things happen
without each other. We are a team.
- Loyalty and respect are earned — not dictated.
- Fear is a turn-off.
- People skills are very important at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.
- We're a very competitive and aggressive Company.
- We run to problems — not away from them.
- We adhere to the highest standards of moral and ethical behavior.
- People work harder and are more effective when they're turned on — not turned
- We are a warm, close Company. This is a strength — not a weakness.
- We must continue building a professional Company — together — as a team.
- Shared values can be altered with circumstances — but carefully and with tact
and consideration for one another's needs
When accepted Shared Values are changed or challenged, the emotional impact and
negative feelings can damage the Company.
Robert E. Gallagher - May 1984