Welcome to Gallagher
Founded by Arthur J. Gallagher in Chicago in 1927, Gallagher has grown to be one of the leading insurance brokerage, risk management, and HR & benefits consulting companies in the world. With significant reach internationally, our organization employs over 34,000 people and our global network provides services in more than 150 countries.
Basic to our success is a commitment to meeting each client's particular needs. This commitment has enabled the company to grow from a two-person organization to our present ranking as one of the largest insurance brokers in the world.
The expansion of our company into a nationwide organization has been dramatic. We were true pioneers in the concept of risk management. We created the first self-insurance service organization, which was set up to administer all lines of coverage - Property, Workers Compensation, Auto, General and Professional Liability. This followed our early recognition of the changing needs of Risk Managers and has been accelerated by a rapidly changing environment.
The Gallagher Way
Shared values at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. are the rock foundation of the Company and our Culture. What is a Shared Value? These are concepts that the vast majority of the movers and shakers in the Company passionately adhere to. What are some of Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.'s Shared Values?
As proud as we are of our growth, we’re more proud that we’ve been able to maintain Gallagher’s unique culture as we move into new markets and new lines. It’s a culture of ethics and service. One of collaboration in a common interest – the best interest of every client, everywhere. And it’s summed up in the 25 tenets of The Gallagher Way. Our then chairman, Robert E. Gallagher, wrote them down in his own hand over a generation ago. Today, you’ll find them in each Gallagher office around the world. What’s more, you’ll find them informing the actions we undertake every day. The Gallagher Way Shared values at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co. are the rock foundation of the Company and our Culture. What is a Shared Value? These are concepts that the vast majority of the movers and shakers in the Company passionately adhere to. What are some of Arthur J. Gallagher & Co’s Shared Values?
- We are a Sales and Marketing Company dedicated to providing excellence in Risk Management Services to our clients.
- We support one another. We believe in one another. We acknowledge and respect the ability of one another.
- We push for professional excellence.
- We can all improve and learn from one another.
- There are no second-class citizens — everyone is important and everyone's job is important.
- We're an open society.
- Empathy for the other guy is not a weakness.
- Suspicion breeds more suspicion. To trust and be trusted is vital.
- Leaders need followers. How leaders treat followers has a direct impact on the effectiveness of the leader.
- Interpersonal business relationships should be built.
- We all need one another. We are all cogs in a wheel.
- No department or person is an island.
- Professional courtesy is expected.
- Never ask someone to do something you wouldn't do yourself.
- I consider myself support for our Sales and Marketing. We can't make things happen without each other. We are a team.
- Loyalty and respect are earned — not dictated.
- Fear is a turn-off.
- People skills are very important at Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.
- We're a very competitive and aggressive Company.
- We run to problems — not away from them.
- We adhere to the highest standards of moral and ethical behavior.
- People work harder and are more effective when they're turned on — not turned off.
- We are a warm, close Company. This is a strength — not a weakness.
- We must continue building a professional Company — together — as a team.
- Shared values can be altered with circumstances — but carefully and with tact and consideration for one another's needs
When accepted Shared Values are changed or challenged, the emotional impact and negative feelings can damage the Company.
Robert E. Gallagher - May 1984